Request for Qualifications for
As-Needed Geotechnical Engineering Consulting Services
RFQ Issue Date:
November 9, 2020
Submittal Due Date:
4:30 P.M., Monday, November 30, 2020
Valley Center Municipal Water District (District) is seeking statement of qualifications from qualified, licensed Geotechnical Engineering firms to enter into an As-Needed Professional Services Agreement. The services requested in this RFQ will support Valley Center Municipal Water District’s Engineering Department.
This department provides professional and technical expertise to plan for the future and help the District meet its mission of providing reliable water and wastewater services to customers. These services are accomplished through managing District Capital Improvement Projects (CIP’s), which includes design, preparation of plans/specifications/estimates, bidding, inspecting and project oversight. Geotechnical Engineering As-Needed services will include the following primary tasks:
1. Supply all equipment and labor to perform field exploration, drill test bores, sample soils and perform laboratory tests for projects as required.
2. Perform geotechnical investigations and prepare a Geotechnical Study containing recommendations for project specific items such as grading and site clearing, overexcavation, foundation design, pavement design, footing design. The Geotechnical Study shall specify minimum parameters for rebar, concrete psi, cement type, admixtures, footings, etc.
3. Earthwork, Asphalt, Concrete and Structural Steel Inspection and Testing.
4. Tests conducted in general accordance with ASTM, AASHTO & CALTRANS Standards including, but not limited to the following:
I. MOISTURE CONTENT
II. UNCONFINED COMPRESSION TEST
III. ATTERBERG LIMITS
IV. PERMEABILITY TESTS
V. TRIAXIAL TESTS
VI. GRADATION TESTS
VII. CONSOLIDATION TESTS
VIII. CALIFORNIA BEARING RATIO
IX. DENSITY TESTS
X. PROCTOR TESTS
XI. SPECIFIC GRAVITY
XIII. SHEAR STRENGTH
XIV. SOIL CLASSIFICATION
5. Groundwater and expansive soils subsurface investigations and recommendations.
6. Special Inspections services.
7. Ability to provide these services within the budget established during negotiation of the scope of work.
The District is looking for Geotechnical Engineering consulting firms with extensive experience in providing aforementioned services for similar agencies in San Diego County. The above list is not intended to be comprehensive; documents and requirements may change throughout the contract term. At such time when the consultant’s services are required, Staff will forward a request for services, including an assignment description, any pertinent supporting information and technical studies. The consultant will immediately commence work on the assignment and deliver a work product with stamp and signature from a licensed Geotechnical Engineer in the State of California, by the established deadline.
The District will select three (3) firms who will be called upon to provide relevant services on an as-needed, assignment-by-assignment basis. The selected firms will provide services for a threeyear period. All deliverables and work produced by the selected consultants, whether in hard copy or electronic form, will become public record and the property of District.
This solicitation is consistent with California Government Code Section 4525-4529.5.